Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Meta Postcard Experience

In my year-long experiment with mini-correspondence, I had the most meta of meta-experiences the other day. I opened my mailbox to find a photocopy of a postcard sent to somebody else. Understanding the significance of my recent singledom after years of serial monogamy, the original recipient felt compelled to send it to me. Here's what it said:


she liked imaginary men best of all

It made me laugh deep and hard. Then I read the note. My friend and I have long agreed that men and women would get along better if they didn't co-habitate. The original sender of this clever card is happily married to a man who lives in an apartment in the building next door to her.

Two messages in one; two validations; two reminders that it's okay to be different - to try and fail - to never stop trying to invent a new way, an alternative path to happiness. 

No comments: