Saturday, July 28, 2012

100th Anniversary!

To call it an "anniversary" is misleading in every possible way, but "100th Postcard Sent!" didn't have quite the right punch.

Just the latest batch of postcards.
It's true! I've sent my hundredth postcard. I've run out of 29-cent+2-cent+1-cent stamps! I can now admit that I had my doubts when I started last January as to how long I'd stick with it.  A hundred stamps just felt daunting. How long it would take me to send 100 postcards? All year? Two years? Half a year? How many times would the Post Office raise the rates before I ran out?

Well, it feels like an accomplishment of some kind to have used them up in 209 days. It makes me smile to think of those hundred postcards out there, sitting on my friends' and relatives'  desks or taped to their refrigerators (or lining their recycle bins).

Pretty little bag o' stamps.
And then there's this! I started something at New Year's and kept at it for more than a week - that alone might be a first.

But is it over? Oh no, it's only just begun. I've restocked my postcard supply at grocery stores and airports and gift shops from South Carolina to Alaska. I went into my local post office and purchased several sheets of the fabulous 32-cent Aloha stamps, along with 50 Forever stamps for those fat long letters I sometimes write. In fact, I bought so many different kinds of stamps they had to put them in a sack for me - and it was as pretty as the stamps are.

Let's see how long it takes me to get to 200 postcards, shall we?

No comments: