Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Amuse-Bouche


I’ve gotten responses from Evette, Meri, Wendy, Winnie, Bonnie, Janet, Aunt Pam, my mom, and my friends Steve in Santa Cruz and Rachel in Scotland. Eight of them sent me something through the mail! I have to say, it is magnificently thrilling every time I open the mailbox and there’s a shiny little rectangle with someone’s handwriting in there. It’s a surprise, even though I asked for it. It’s a treat to read their writing, to touch something they touched, to hear what they have to say, even if it’s as brief and straightforward as, “Love your campaign idea – I’m in!”

I want – as I always do – more. Not just more postcards (though that would be lovely). Postcards are great, yummy, tasty treats. But a postcard is little more than a wee amuse-bouche when what I really want is a four-course meal. Like my friend Juanita, who sends 14-page, handwritten missives with poetry enclosed. And Janet, who, like me, types her long letters, but still they are thick and full of topics over which to mull.

But Juanita and Janet love to write – and that’s a big piece of the puzzle here, isn’t it, loving to write. I just go bouncing along in my life loving to write, assuming everyone else loves to write, and then I’m disappointed when they don’t.

So I will be happy with the amuse-bouche. I will relish the amuse-bouche, rolling it around on my tongue, making it last. And if writing a wee postcard happens to light the fire of someone to write something longer … a page, maybe two … that tells me more of the story of their life, then I will have my meal.

No comments: