Monday, March 7, 2011

Checklist

Even though grocery shopping is a routine task filled with repetition, I wouldn’t go out the door without a list of things I currently need. Balsamic vinegar. Tissues. Really good cheddar cheese. A dozen eggs. Without my list, you’d find me wandering around Kroger in a state of confusion, mumbling to myself.

I think sometimes that a list is the answer to everything. I wish there was a list I could carry that would ensure I’d spend not one second more wandering around life like the anxious insomniac I sometimes resort to being.

Some of the things that might be on it:

Stay in the moment. This one. Right here.
Breathe.
Slow down. Slower. Slower.
Remember: waiting in line is an opportunity to meditate.
So is a stoplight.
Any traffic.
Try not to assume that everyone is emotionally capable of reaching his potential.
Accept people being the way they are.
It is only the ego that attaches itself to positive or negative responses.
So: Disidentify from the ego.
What can I do or say or think today that will be a benefit to others?

No comments: