I used to like it black. Those years on the boat with no fridge, powdered milk would just clump blandly when mixed with it in the steel mug. So I took it thick and dark and aromatic, hitting my bloodstream the same as a shot of single-malt. Toe-tingling. Had to smack me upside the head like an angry momma shouting Wake up!


I wish I could tell you I drank it slowly, like a meditation; that I really savored and spent a moment with each sip, but I never have. I gulp it down like a marathoner at the water station of Mile 23. Like I might never get another drink as long as I live.


Now I seem to want luxury, so I pour a little of the organic, full fat half-and-half into the cup first, just covering the bottom. This precludes the need to dirty a spoon (another habit I picked up aboard Tranquilo). I want it the color of my ex-husband's skin in late August after a summer of afternoon surf sessions. It's still bitter, and a little dark. It hurts on the way down, but that's just the way I like it.

Sometimes I think I started adding cream again just to get the color like that.