Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Process: A Reflection

The best way to ensure you will never write anything ever again is to make a pronouncement like, "Now I've got something to write about."

Yeesh.

I've spent the last 3 months and 6 days trying to back up that statement to no avail.

Everything has potential, but seems to have been done already, by someone else, better than I ever could.

Excuses, excuses, but that's how I roll.

Do I write about the present, or do I write about the past?

If I write about the present, do I focus on the spiritual quest, the coming-to-terms-with-a-mood-disorder, the biological clock, the ambivalence about trying to get pregnant, or the odd musings of a Left-Coast Liberal teaching in a public school in the Deep South?

If I write about the past, do I just develop clever little anecdotes about my offbeat experiences abroad and try to make people laugh, or do I elaborate and render them more meaningful by pointing out some lesson learned, some poignancy?

I feel unfocused and uncertain, yet I am presently in love with life, reading up a storm, teaching my heart out and embracing the now. The only thing I'm ingesting - besides large quantities of fresh fruits and vegetables and the occasional helping of barbecue and grits - is prenatal vitamins and extra strength Tylenol. Eckhart Tolle and Pat Conroy.

I am becoming aware of my ego and it's helping me be peaceful and at ease.

But what should I write about?

If anybody's reading this, please weigh in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm reading this and i'm thinking..... what about fiction? my friends have been writing stories lately about us that have remnants of truthful events but are exaggerated and elaborate :). just a thought :).

Unknown said...

Your list of possible subjects is rich!

I think that your current subjects are a great place to start. If you can see the humor in your spiritual, mental health, deep south, possibly maternal quests - I predict a large fan base and a healthy dose of self awareness.

You cannot go wrong!

Win1 said...

I'm with Candace when she says to see the humor in your subjects. Its perfect. You do have an effective way of subtlety showing the humor in most situations. At least try it & if it doesn't work for you, then try something else. I personally look forward to your blogging again. Start with focusing on a thread (humor?) to weave in each story you tell. Let me know how its going. ps-i know you wrote me somewhere recently about NY, but I can't remember...flu bug has eaten brain cells...